Delaware State Police say a man crashed his motorcycle into a horse that was being ridden by a woman, and then fled the scene at speeds up to 100 mph.

After a chase, Roosevelt S. Williams, 34, was found, arrested, and charged with leaving the scene of a personal injury crash, reckless driving, possession of a controlled substance, resisting arrest and other offenses.

Police say the incident occurred about 6:50 p.m. Sunday at Chaplains Chapel Road south of Deer Forest Road, Bridgeville, Sussex County.

At the time, Michele A. Rose, 40, of Bridgeville was riding her 16-year-old quarter horse, Chance, south on Chaplains Chapel Road. She was attempting to cross the road toward a field when she heard a motorcycle fast approaching. The horse became startled at the sound and froze.

Williams, who was not wearing a helmet, applied the brakes to the motorcycle causing it to slide into the horse.

Rose ran to aid Williams as he was on the ground with the motorcycle. Williams, police said, refused help and got back on his motorcycle. He then fled south on Chaplains Chapel Road.

Rose gave arriving police a description of Williams and the motorcycle he was riding.

About 15 minutes after the crash, an officer with the Georgetown Police Department saw what appeared to be Williams on the his motorcycle at DuPont Boulevard (US 113) and Seashore Highway (State Route 404/18).

Police say they attempted to stop Williams, but he fled north on US 113. Other troopers were called and gave chase.

Williams, was, "at times, traveling at speeds greater than 100 mph," according to a police account. A state police helicopter was called to track him as he raced through Lincoln and Milford.

They finally caught Williams about 7:45 p.m. He struggled with the troopers and ran into a soybean field where he was arrested.

Police said Williams was carrying 3.2 grams of synthetic marijuana. He was charged with more than 70 traffic violations and held on $13,950.00 cash bail.

Rose - the horse's rider - was slightly injured in the incident, but did not require any medical attention. And the horse, Chance, did not appear to be injured.