Healthy family recipe: How 'Bout Them Apples-With Sprouts
In this simple recipe, the apples add a hint of sweetness that brings out the flavor of the brussel sprouts.
Healthy family recipe: How ‘Bout Them Apples-With Sprouts
Brussels sprouts are like mini cabbages and are delicious grilled, roasted, stir fried and steamed. In this simple recipe, the apples add a hint of sweetness that brings out the flavor of the sprouts. Give it a try!
How ‘Bout Them Apples-With Sprouts
- 1 pound of fresh Brussels sprouts (thawed, frozen works too)
- 1 apple (Fuji or Honeycrisp work best, but any kind is fine.)
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Trim the sprouts (remove outside leaves and cut off the tough ends). Cut larger sprouts into quarters and smaller sprouts into halves.
- Remove the core and seeds of the apple and dice into small chunks.
- Combine the Brussels sprouts and apple on a non-stick baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil evenly over the sprouts and apple. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake the Brussels sprouts and apples in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until sprouts are soft and tender.
Serving size: around 1 cup
Recipe makes about 3-4 servings
Have a question for the Healthy Kids panel? Ask it here.
Read more from the Healthy Kids blog »