Deon Thompson scored a career-high 23 points and No. 11 North Carolina beat pesky Nevada, 80-73, last night to give coach Roy Williams his 600th career win.
Ed Davis added 16 points, 15 rebounds and a pair of momentum-changing blocked shots late for the Tar Heels (6-1), who endured an uncharacteristic second-half slump, warmed up down the stretch with an 11-3 spurt and hit four of seven free throws in the final minute to dodge the visitors' upset bid.
Armon Johnson scored 20 points on 10-for-20 shooting and Luke Babbitt added 15 points and 11 rebounds to lead Nevada (2-3). The Wolf Pack shot 41 percent and held the Tar Heels without a field goal for 5 minutes before missing 10 of their final 14 shots.
It was enough to make Williams the 33rd coach in Division I history to reach the 600-victory mark. He improved to 600-139 in his 22nd season, and became the eighth active coach to hit that milestone.
Williams wore a sling on his left arm while coaching his first game since having surgery last week on his shoulder.
In other games:
* At the 76 Classic in Anaheim, Calif., T.J. Robinson tied his career high with 25 points and added 13 rebounds to lead Long Beach State to a 79-68 victory over UCLA. It was the 49ers' (4-3) first-ever win over the Bruins (2-4) after 11 losses dating to 1970 . . . Derrick Roland scored 19 points to lead Texas A & M (5-1) to a 66-65 victory over No. 22 Minnesota (3-2) . . . Demontez Stitt made two free throws with 3.3 seconds remaining to give No. 19 Clemson (6-1) a 70-69 victory over No. 12 Butler (4-2) . . . Da'Sean Butler scored 26 points, Kevin Jones had 17 and Devin Ebanks added 14 as No. 8 West Virginia (5-0) rolled to an 84-66 win over Portland (5-1).
* At the Old Spice Classic in Orlando, Fla., JaMychal Green scored 20 points, including a go-ahead dunk with 5 seconds to play, and Alabama (4-2) beat No. 15 Michigan (3-2), 68-66 . . . Tweety Carter had 27 points in a 69-64 win for Baylor (6-1) over Xavier (4-2), which got 17 points from Jamel McLean . . . Solomon Alabi hit a baseline jumper with 11.9 seconds left, and Florida State (6-1) rallied to beat Marquette (6-1), 57-56, in the championship game.
* At Rice, Dexter Pittman scored 21 points and No. 3 Texas (5-0) held off a Rice (4-2) rally before pulling away for a 77-59 win.
* At Washington, Venoy Overton made two free throws with 14.5 seconds left then blocked a potential tying three-pointer by Montana's Anthony Johnson with 6 seconds remaining to allow the No. 14 Huskies (5-0) to escape with a 63-59 victory over the Grizzlies (4-2).
* At California, Jamal Boykin matched his career high with 22 points, Jerome Randle also had 22 and California (4-2) easily beat Princeton (2-3), 81-60. Patrick Saunders scored 14 points and Ian Hummer 13 for the Tigers.
In women's games: