Galvis says he's recovering from MRSA infection

The Phillies' Freddy Galvis. (David Maialetti/Staff Photographer)

TAMPA, Fla. - Infielder Freddy Galvis visited the Phillies clubhouse Tuesday for the first time since he was hospitalized with a MRSA infection last week.

Galvis was greeted warmly by teammates before they left for Tampa and Tuesday night's game against the New York Yankees.

Last week, the team said Galvis was hospitalized with a staph infection after he had an abscess removed from his left knee. Tests revealed that Galvis had contracted MRSA, an infection that is resistant to antibiotics.

Even though Galvis admitted to being a little weak, he didn't lose his perspective when describing the ordeal. When asked how painful it was, he had a simple reply.

"It was OK. I mean, I was alive," he said. "[It was] a little painful.

"On the first day, I was scared because I didn't know what happened," he added. "Then they inspected me, put the leg on antibiotics, and the next day I felt better."


Is the Phillies’ bench good enough?

Galvis said he has continued to improve ever since.

"Right now, I feel really good," he said.

Galvis said he could return to action within three weeks.

"After they take off the stitches, it will be five days, then I'll be running and starting baseball stuff," Galvis said. "I think my arm is good, my legs are good. I think my swing will be good."

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. was more cautious.

"It could be two to three weeks, it could be six to eight weeks; we just don't know," Amaro said. "I think a lot depends on how quickly his wounds heal and how quickly he can get into some baseball activities.

"As far as his infection is concerned, he's not out of the woods, but optimistically he's taken pretty well to the antibiotics so far."

Galvis said he would be on oral antibiotics for two more weeks. He is doing some light workouts.

"I can do some exercises for my leg, I threw a little bit, and now I'm going to do some lifting with the upper body," Galvis said.

The infielder said he researched MRSA, which, according to the Mayo Clinic, is caused by a strain of staph bacteria that has become resistant to antibiotics.

"They explained to me that if that [infection] gets to my joints or my muscle, it's bad," he said. "But once it's superficial, they kill it."

Galvis' teammates were happy to see him in the clubhouse.

"It was scary when you first heard about it," catcher Carlos Ruiz said. "To see him back and see him smiling again is a great thing."

Added outfielder Bobby Abreu: "Freddy is a great player, a great guy. We are so happy he is back."

It was a month of swirling emotions for Galvis, whose first child, daughter Anastasia, was born on March 15.

"My daughter's doing good, she's getting bigger," Galvis said.

Now he looks forward to returning to action. Although no one can set a timetable for his return, the Phillies and Galvis are encouraged.

"He told me the four days he spent in the bed made him weak, but other than that he felt good about everything and is coming along," manager Ryne Sandberg said. "He is headed in the right direction."