High school hoops star shot dead in Phila.

Treshawn Anderson, 17 (left), and Kyon Anderson, 15, reminisce about their older brother Rashawn Anderson, who was killed last night. (Sarah J. Glover / Staff Photographer)

A Roxborough High School basketball star was one of three people killed by gunfire in the city on Monday, police said.

Rashawn Anderson, 18, was shot multiple times in the head about 11 p.m. on the 3200 block of McMichael Street in East Falls, police said.

Police responding to the shooting encountered a private vehicle rushing Anderson to the hospital and transferred him to their vehicle car and took him instead.

Anderson, who lived in the same neighborhood on Authority Terrace, was pronounced dead at 11:45 p.m. at Temple University Hospital.

Anderson was a 5-foot-8 guard for Roxborough and on Feb. 1 he scored 22 points to lift his team to a 65-60 win over visiting Bok.

Police said this morning investigators are still trying to determine a motive in Anderson's slaying as well as those of two other people shot dead earlier on Monday.

In the first of the earlier slayings, Michele Rodriguez, 19, was shot once in the head about 3:15 a.m. on the 800 block of Anchor Street in the Summerdale section, police said.

Before she was identified, police had described the victim as a woman in her 30s.

Investigators are waiting a to question a 38-year-old man who was wounded in the arms, legs, chest and torso in the same shooting and who remains in critical condition at Albert Einstein Medical Center.

Rodriquez had lived on the 5900 block of Malta Street in the neighboring Crescentville section.

At about 5 p.m., gunfire on the 5600 block of Girard Avenue in West Philadelphia left Shawn Jackson, 20, mortally wounded, police said.

Jackson, who lived on Yokum Street in Southwest Philadelphia, had been shot in the back of the head, the neck and the chest and was pronounced dead at 5:27 p.m. at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

Anyone with information in any of the cases should call the Homicide Unit at 215-686-3334.

Altogether, four people were slain the city on Monday. A 21-year-old pregnant woman died after she fell and struck her head on the ground during a fight outside the city's Traffic Court on the 400 block of N. 8th Street. Police are questioning one man and seeking a second in that case.


Contact the Inquirer Online News Desk at online@phillynews.com or 215-854-2443.