With SDCC underway and excitement building for Saturday’s big presentation in legendary Hall H – no joke – Warner Brothers looks to be in good shape to win not only the weekend, but have the biggest momentum for their future projects and universes, dwarfing everyone else – including rival Disney/Marvel Studios.
Here are a few presentations and announcements that should blow the roof off of Hall H this Saturday.
1) Wonder Woman 2 – With the announcement of two new WB/DC superhero films just put on its official slate this past week, that brings the total of Untitled DC films on the schedule for 2019 and 2020 to six. (There’s also one untitled for 2018, but the window for that is closing fast.) It’s impossible to believe that DC/Warner will not want to announce that Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins are back and have a release date for a sequel. Also likely to be announced are The Batman, Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens, Man of Steel 2, Cyborg and Green Lantern Corps, with Shazam!, The Flash and Justice League 2 also being possibilities. This brings me to…
2) Justice League – With Wonder Woman making people confident in the DC Extended Universe again, it is now on Justice League to deliver for fans. Some awesome footage will give us an early indication of whether this will be the DECU’s Avengers or it’s Suicide Squad, which will be important for not only this November’s film, but interest and excitement in its members solo films going forward.
3) “Untitled Fantastic Beasts Sequel” – While not as popular as the “Harry Potter” films, J.K. Rowling’s Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them still did quite well and should have fans wondering about everything from a title to the story for the next installment in 2018.
4) With Kong: Skull Island well-received it would be wise for WB to keep the momentum going with some teasers/announcements about Godzilla 2, which is hitting March 22, 2019.
5) There are three huge event films from WB scheduled to hit in 2019 that have not been titled yet…this would be an ideal time to reveal them.
6) “Tomb Raider” – There has not been a lot of buzz of this reboot of the video-game based film franchise, which has Alicia Vikander taking over the titular role. With a March 16, 2018 release date, it’s time for a trailer and some major buzz. Plus, Lara Croft rubbing shoulders with Wonder Woman. How cool would that be?