For over a year now, suburban housewives have been itching with anticipation to learn which Hollywood A-lister they'd be fantasizing about leading up to the theatrical release of the film adaptation of that plebeian erotica novel, Fifty Shades of Grey.
Over the weekend, official reports informed the public that it wouldn't be a middle age industry pillar with Oscar clout or an up-and-comer with huge name recognition like Robert Pattinson who would play the lead role of Christian Grey. Instead, the novel's author E.L. James tweeted that 33-year-old Sons of Anarchy star Charlie Hunnam would play Grey while 23-year-old Dakota Johnson—the daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith—would play Anastasia Steele.
Even if your'e a huge SAMCRO fan, chances are that you're not entirely familiar with Jax Teller without his cut and Harley. Here's everything you need to know about Fifty Shades of Grey actor Charlie Hunnam.
- He stays in shape with a body weight workout. [Men's Fitness]
- He chased away home intruders with a machete. Seriously. In real life he did that.
- He's big into motorcycles in real life, too.
- Hunnam optioned a project based on a Rolling Stone article about an American football player who turns to a life of drugs and rises to the top of a Mexican drug cartel. [GQ]
- Remember that Sam Worthington movie Man on the Ledge? Hunnam was actually in a better, lesser-known version of that film that went straight to OnDemand.
- In the British version of Queer as Folk that predated the American adaptation, Hunnam played Nathan Maloney. In the American version, this character was Justin Taylor, played by Randy Harrison
- He's been dating his girlfriend Morgana McNelis for six years. She's a jewelry designer.
- His first serious starring role in a major motion picture came in this summer's Pacific Rim, which made $400 million at the world wide box office. [Box Office Mojo]
- Hunnam screen-tested for Thor and met his now ex-wife while auditioning for a role on Dawson's Creek.
- He wrote a scripte about Vlad the Impaler that was optioned to Brad Pitt's Plan B, but is currently sitting in a drawer somewhere. [EW]
- Hunnam's tight with Guillermo del Toro. In addition to appearing in del Toro's Pacific Rim, Hunnam's slated to star alongside Jessica Chastain in the director's Crimson Peak and was rumored to be getting a role in The Hobbit before that whole fiasco that saw del Toro replaced by Peter Jackson unfolded.
Fifty Shades of Grey is currently slated for release in August 2014.