Drexel Men's Soccer Gets Late Equalizer Against Delaware, 1-1

PHILADELPHIA – As the season nears the end, the Drexel men's soccer team earned a big point on Wednesday night, getting a late goal to earn a 1-1 draw with Delaware at Vidas Field. Nathan Page scored his team-leading seventh goal of the season in the 78th minute, taking in an assist from Fabio Machado. The Dragons outshot Delaware 21-7, but saw many of their chances blocked away by Delaware defenders or sail over the frame, as they could not get the game-winner in a frenetic extra 20 minutes.

Although the Dragons controlled possession for much of the first half, they were stymied by the Delaware defense, unable to get a clean look at goalkeeper Jay Lupas. Then in the 36 th minute, Delaware found an opening. The Blue Hens earned a corner to the right of Drexel goalkeeper Tim Washam. Prince Nartey inserted, a low, hard entry that crossed the goalmouth and found the right foot of Evan Reed five yards out, even with the far post. Reed fired low and to Washam's right, giving Delaware a 1-0 advantage.

After the Blue Hens took the lead, the pace for the Dragons picked up markedly. Attacking the box with regularity, the Dragons got 11 shots off in the second half. For the first 32 minutes of the period, the Dragons were once again frustrated by the resilient Delaware defense. Then in the 78 th minute, the Dragons struck.

Fabio Machado, who was putting intense pressure on Lupas and the Hens all night, fed a pass in to Nathan Page from the right side. Page, 15 yards out in the middle of the box, got control and roped a drive low and to the left of Lupas, scoring to even things up and send the crowd of 310 into a frenzy.

After the equalizer, things did not let up on either end. Although the Dragons continued to control play, both teams had opportunities in the final 32 minutes of the game to get the winner. In overtime, Drexel three times had outstanding looks at would-be winners.

First, in the 99th minute, Guido Pena took a corner for the Dragons, feeding it in to Tal Bublil directly in front of the goal mouth. Bublil, who assisted on Ken Tribbett's game winner in double overtime against Delaware last season, got a toe on the ball but chipped it right up in the air and over the net. In double overtime, Pena found Machado at the near post for a header, but his try floated over the crossbar and out of play in the 102nd minute. Finally, three minutes later, Machado looked to have a 1-on-1 break with only Lupas to beat. His shot drew Lupas to the ground, but as the Blue Hens' keeper could not corral the rebound, the ball trickled too close to the goal line as Machado could not manage to get an angle on a crossing pass to finish the play.

 Drexel will get back on the field on Saturday when they travel south to Georgia State. That game will kick off at 1:30 p.m.

We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue
Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines

Comment policy:

Philly.com comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

Please note that comments are monitored by Philly.com staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

Load comments