NFL power rankings heading into Week 1:
1. Seahawks: No. 1 until they prove otherwise.
2. Broncos: Peyton + upgraded defense = trouble for rest of AFC.
3. Patriots: They won 12 games last year even with sub-par season from Brady.
4. Saints: Until Drew Brees retires, they’ll always be in the money.
5. 49ers: Defense is going to struggle without Aldon Smith and NaVorro Bowman.
6. Eagles: They may be the only team in NFC East capable of winning more than six games.
7. Packers: Losing nose tackle B.J. Raji for the season hurts.
8. Colts: They’ll be missing Robert Mathis for the first 4 games.
9. Bengals: Is this the year the Bengals finally win a playoff game?
10. Cardinals: They need Carson Palmer to keep his mistakes to a minimum.
11. Falcons: They might’ve been the most boring team to ever appear on “Hard Knocks.’’
12. Bucs: If Josh McCown gives them efficient QB play, they might just win the NFC South.
13. Chargers: Can Philip Rivers have another prolific season? Sure, why not.
14. Panthers: Cam Newton’s banged up and he doesn’t have anybody to throw to.
15. Bears: You don’t want to be an opposing QB this season. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
16. Ravens: Something tells me Ray Rice is going to have a big season when he gets back from his 2-game suspension.
17. Chiefs: Alex Smith’s new deal should help him sleep at night and play well on Sundays.
18. Steelers: Their offense didn’t look like much vs. Eagles in preseason.
19. Rams: They were a playoff contender before Sam Bradford went down again.
20. Lions: Matthew Stafford is another talented, but schizophrenic QB who throws too many INTs.
21. Redskins: A QB controversy in D.C. already? Seriously?
22. Vikings: For now, it’s Matt Cassel, not Teddy Bridgewater, under center.
23. Jaguars: Gus Bradley has improved the defense with Seattle imports.
24. Giants: If this season doesn’t drive Tom Coughlin into retirement, nothing will.
25. Dolphins: Still not sold on their revamped offensive line.
26. Jets: Geno Smith will have a short leash with Michael Vick waiting in the wings.
27. Browns: I may be one of the few people who doesn’t think Brian Hoyer sucks.
28. Cowboys: Gonna be a long, long year in Big D.
29. Titans: If Ken Whisenhunt can win with Jake Locker, he should go straight to Canton.
30. Texans: Stop the presses. They traded for Ryan Mallett. Wait, don’t stop them.
31. Raiders: Pride and poise and another last-place finish.
32. Bills: Why in God’s name would Toronto want this team?