Links and resources
- Resources for Military and Veterans
- Books about Iraq
- Columns and Editorials about Iraq
- Iraq Headlines and Commentary by Michael Zacchea
Take Action to Support Our Troops and Veterans
- America Supports You is a great website of about 150 non-profit organizations all committed to helping our troops and their families. You can send support to wounded service members, contribute to scholarship funds, donate airline miles so those returning can meet up with their families, you name it. Our top priority should always be lobbying our leaders, so that when we say we support our troops, our policies and budget prove it! But there is no reason we can't do both.
- IAVAPAC Help send our Iraq veterans to Congress! IAVA PAC is the only political action committee founded by a Veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom to support the campaigns of those Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans running for office. At their website, you can read more about the candidates they are supporting, as well as their policy goals. All money donated will go towards helping to send the first crop of Iraq and Afghanistan Vets to Capitol Hill!
- The Yellow Ribbon Fund supplies volunteers and mentors to our returning injured soldiers. They provide hotel rooms, rental cars, and other transportation for their families. They also pair soldiers with local companies and mentors to learn new skills to help ease the transition. Though the somber numbers remind us daily of all those who have fallen in Iraq and Afghanistan, let's not forget about those who come back home, but are changed for life. Thousands of our men and women have sustained life altering injuries.
- Homes For Our Troops builds specially adapted homes for our disabled veterans.
- Operation Helmet is a group that provides helmets free of charge to our men and women in harm's way that are more comfortable and more importantly provide additional protection against IEDs (roadside bombs).
- Operation Comfort. If you or someone you know are a mental health provider or affiliated with an agency please go to operation comfort and volunteer your time to help families of those who are serving overseas.
- Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America is the only organization started by Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans to support other Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans. At their website, you can learn what important issues affecting the troops and veterans are being debated in Washington, and how you can help. You can also join their online Army by signing up, and be kept up to date on important initiatives that will tangibly support the troops. TroopNet is their online community of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans. If you are a vet of those wars, you can join TroopNet. If you support the troops, you can browse their profiles and read their unedited stories.
- USO provides morale, welfare and recreation-type services to our servicemen and women--think Bob Hope.
- Fisher House Foundation runs homes for families of injured military personnel. It allows family members to be close to a loved one during hospitalization for an illness, disease or injury. You can sponsor a family or help build a home.
- Fighting Dems - more about this new group here.
- Connect and Join is a new initiative which you can read more about here.
- Send the Troops an Email of Support!
SEE ALSO: Support and Defend Archive