Saturday, August 1, 2015

Alleged Upper Darby bullies denied release, judge boots media from court

The seven Upper Darby boys, ages 13 to 17, arrested Monday for a videotaped bullying incident that made national headlines, will remain incarcerated at the Delaware County Juvenile Detention Center while awaiting their Feb. 10 hearings, a judge ruled today.

Alleged Upper Darby bullies denied release, judge boots media from court

0 comments

The seven Upper Darby boys, ages 13 to 17, arrested Monday for a videotaped bullying incident that made national headlines, will remain incarcerated at the Delaware County Juvenile Detention Center while awaiting their next hearing on Feb. 10, a judge ruled today.

Judge Mary Alice Brennan, who took the unusual step of denying the press and others access to an open court proceeding, ordered that the teens undergo a psychological evaluation and risk assessment, according to Public Defender David DiPasqua. The Delaware County District Attorney's Office objected to having today's hearing closed, saying that it is an open proceeding under state law.

The seven teens, who attend the Opportunity Center behind Upper Darby High School, are charged with assault, kidnapping and related offenses for the Jan. 11 bullying of 13-year-old Nadin Khoury. He was dragged on the ground and hanged in a tree and by a 7-foot-tall spiked fence post. It was videotaped on a cell phone.

Brennan, a former district judge in Upper Darby, has previously served as special counsel for the Upper Darby School District.

More coverage
Video: Teenage bullies
Image Gallery: Upper Darby bullying

Today's hearing was conducted by videoconference because the teens are at the detention center in Lima. Before the news media was removed from the courtroom, a 14-year-old defendant said into the camera: "If you see my mother, can you tell her I love her?"

The boy's attorney, Geoffrey Seay, said outside the courtroom that he hopes his client will be released to his mother and grandmother after next week's hearing. He had asked that he be released today.

"I don't know that they can make out all those charges," Seay said, adding: "At this point, I've seen as much video as everybody else and all I see is blurs, so I can't say what, if anything, my client may have done."

"Certainly, it's repulsive to all of us," Seay said of the video.

0 comments
We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue.
Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines.

Comment policy:

Philly.com comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

Please note that comments are monitored by Philly.com staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

Read 0 comments
 
comments powered by Disqus
About this blog
In The Daily Delco blog, Daily News reporters William Bender and Stephanie Farr dig up all the dirt - from crazy crimes to political malfeasance and everything in between - in Delaware County.

E-mail tips to Bender at benderw@phillynews.com or call him at 215-964-2099. Follow him on Twitter: @wbender99

E-mail tips to Farr at farrs@phillynews.com or call her at 215-854-4225. Follow her on Twitter: @farfarraway

William Bender and Stephanie Farr
Also on Philly.com
letter icon Newsletter