Nobody said it was going to be perfect.
But the new power-points system used by District 1 for its basketball playoffs has generated ire and, likewise, extra work for District 1 officials.
The first draft of the final Class AAAA rankings was posted on the district Web site Sunday afternoon, and teams had until noon yesterday to argue the figures.
The boys' calculations were, for the most part, on the money. A few final averages had to be adjusted, according to District 1 executive secretary Bob Ruoff, but the changes didn't affect the brackets, which were released yesterday afternoon.
As for the girls . . .
"There were some snags," Ruoff said.
Right off the bat, Sunday's No. 1 seed was incorrect. Because a victory was missing from Upper Dublin's record, the Cardinals and Pennridge switched spots.
So in the tournament, which will begin tomorrow, No. 1 seed Upper Dublin will play No. 32 Upper Darby and No. 2 Pennridge will play No. 31 Boyertown. Both games are set for 1 p.m. Saturday at the higher seeds' gyms.
For Cheltenham, restoring a missing victory over Springfield, Montgomery County, actually lowered the Panthers' seed, from No. 8 to No. 9. Because Springfield is a AAA team and has only one win, Cheltenham's victory, when divided into its total number, lowered its average.
Correcting that mistake moved Great Valley up to No. 8, potentially giving the Patriots a home date against Cheltenham in the second round if both teams advance. Advancing past the second round and into the quarterfinals is doubly important because those eight teams automatically qualify for states.
"I'm sure Bob Schaefer is upset," Ruoff said, referring to Cheltenham's coach.
Schaefer declined to comment yesterday.
The only other alteration was Neshaminy's drop from the No. 29 seed to 30 and Quakertown's move up one spot to 29.
The new system proved much more time-consuming for Ruoff than the previous method of determining the brackets - the one-day seedings meetings.
"One of the hardest things was getting the data, making sure it was correct, and feeding it in," Ruoff said.
Because victories over all PIAA schools factored into the math, gathering the records of teams from other districts took some added effort. And when the calculations were off, they created a ripple effect of increased phone calls.
"When we reevaluate, we have to figure out if it served the purpose we were hoping for," Ruoff said.
Buff Radick, the boys' basketball coach at Council Rock South, and Dick Raderman, the statistician at South, created the program. Radick handled the boys' calculations, while Raderman handled the girls'.
However, Ruoff said: "The buck stops here."
The Class AAA power-points rankings were supposed to be posted tomorrow, but yesterday's snowstorm postponed several games to as late as Saturday. Ruoff said the points most likely would be posted Sunday.
First-round games for AAA are set to begin next Wednesday for the boys and Tuesday for the girls.
The storm also affected Class AA and A games. Ruoff wasn't sure when those final numbers would be released, but District 1 has until Feb. 23, the first day of playoff games for the two smaller classifications.
Class AAAA Tournament
BOYS' FIRST ROUND
Games are scheduled for Friday at the site of the higher seed.
1. Upper Darby vs. 32. Bensalem, 7
16. Norristown vs. 17. Wissahickon, 7
8. Lower Merion vs. 25. Oxford, 7
9. Glen Mills vs. 24. Cheltenham, 7
4. Pennsbury vs. 29. Academy Park, 7
13. Council Rock North vs. 20. West Chester East, 7
5. Plymouth Whitemarsh vs. 28. Penn Wood, 7:15
12. C.B. East vs. 21. C.B. South, 7:30
2. Chester vs. 31. Bishop Shanahan, 7
15. Haverford High vs. 18. Interboro, 7
7. Ridley vs. 26. North Penn, 7:30
10. C.B. West vs. 23. Unionville, 7:30
3. Souderton vs. 30. Hatboro-Horsham, 7
14. Downingtown West vs. 19. Methacton, 7
6. W.C. Henderson vs. 27. William Tennent, 7
11. Boyertown vs. 22. Owen J. Roberts, 7
GIRLS' FIRST ROUND
Games are scheduled for Saturday, unless noted, at the site of the higher seed.
1. Upper Dublin vs. 32. Upper Darby, 1
16. Sun Valley vs. 17. Lower Merion, 1
8. Great Valley vs. 25. Garnet Valley, 7, tomorrow
9. Cheltenham vs. 24. Bensalem, 7
4. Conestoga vs. 29 Quakertown, 7, Friday
13. Abington vs. 20. Norristown, 7, tomorrow
5. C.B. East vs. 28. William Tennent, 6, Friday
12. Downingtown West vs. 21. C.B. South, 1
2. Pennridge vs. 31. Boyertown, 1
15. Chester vs. 18. Academy Park, 1
7. Owen J. Roberts vs. 26. Penn Wood, 7
10. Spring-Ford vs. 23. Strath Haven, 1
3. Downingtown East vs. 30. Neshaminy, 1
14. Methacton vs. 19. Perkiomen Valley, 1
6. Ridley vs. 27. West Chester East, 6, Friday
11. Council Rock North vs. 22. Bishop Shanahan, 1