Before the first fan in line plopped his red Everlast boxing glove onto the table, he had a question for world champion Danny Garcia.
"What's next for you?" he asked as Garcia signed autographs Thursday afternoon at Dr. Denim on South Street.
It is one of boxing's burning questions after reports circulated this week that Garcia would defend his unified light-welterweight titles in a rematch with Zab Judah instead of meeting Lucas Matthysse.
Garcia, a 25-year-old from Juniata Park, said he had no idea where those reports came from. Garcia said he agreed to fight Matthysse "a while ago" and was waiting for the fight to be scheduled.
The fight could take place as soon as Sept. 7, and Garcia said it will be on the East Coast. Brooklyn's Barclays Center and Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall are likely venues after Golden Boy Promotions ruled out Washington.
Garcia (26-0, 16 knockouts) sat in the front row last month as Matthysse (34-2, 32 KOs) leveled Lamont Peterson twice in the third round before the referee stopped the bout at Boardwalk Hall.
"He's all right," Garcia said. "He's just strong."
Nicknamed "the Machine," the 30-year-old Matthysse is considered one of boxing's most powerful punchers and has won his last six fights by stoppage.
In Chicago promoting Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s September fight with Canelo Alvarez, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told reporters he was "diligently working on" finalizing the Garcia-Matthysse bout.
"I'm asked about it where I go," he said. "Everybody is asking me about that."
He's not the only one.