A firefighter suffered a fractured ankle responding to a house fire in Bellmawr early Wednesday afternoon.

The fire was reported shortly before 1 p.m. at a 2½-story home in the 300 block of Third Avenue, said Bellmawr Fire Department Battalion Chief Daniel DiRenzo.

A man on the second floor was awakened by a smoke detector and was forced to flee through a window, DiRenzo said. The man was rescued from the front-porch roof by firefighters. The injured firefighter was transported to Inspira Medical Center Woodbury to be treated.

The cause of the fire was not immediately determined.