HERE'S a timeline of Jerry Sandusky's years at Penn State.
* 1977: Sandusky, a defensive end at Penn State from 1963 to 1965 and assistant coach since 1969, becomes defensive coordinator. He also founds "The Second Mile," originally a group foster home that became a charity for children from dysfunctional families.
* 1998: Penn State police and state Welfare Department investigate after the mother of 11-year-old boy reports that Sandusky showered with her son. No charges are filed by then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar and case is closed.
* 2000: Sandusky allegedly does it again. He is charged with showering with a boy and trying to touch his genitals, according to grand jury report.
* 2000: Janitor tells his supervisor he saw Sandusky performing oral sex on a young boy, according to the report. No one told authorities.
* March 2, 2002: Graduate assistant coach tells coach Joe Paterno he saw Sandusky shower and perform anal sex in the locker room with a young boy.
* March 3, 2002: Paterno reports the incident to Athletic Director Tim Curley, who summons the grad assistant for an interview along with Gary Schultz, Penn State's senior vice president for finance and business. The grad assistant later tells the grand jury that he told Curley and Schultz he saw Sandusky and the boy engaged in anal sex, but Curley tells the jury that his impression was that the conduct was nonsexual and "horsing around." No investigation is launched.
* 2005 or 2006: Sandusky befriends yet another Second Mile boy on whom he allegedly performed oral sex 20 times. The boy's mother reports the behavior to his high school, which informed police.