John S. Carter, accused of stealing from the Independence Seaport Museum, which he headed for 17 years, acknowledges he is responsible for civil and criminal misdeeds and is prepared to pay the penalty, his attorney said.

Mark Cedrone said in an interview that he anticipated his client "will plead guilty to tax crimes and theft crimes. . . . He knows at the end of the day, he will walk away with nothing."

He said Carter was reconciled to jail time.

Though no criminal charges have been filed against Carter, Cedrone acknowledged last week that Carter was under FBI investigation. Assistant U.S. Attorney John J. Pease declined to comment.

The museum sued Carter on Monday in a Massachusetts court seeking to recover $2.4 million that it says Carter took with fraudulent expenses. Carter lives in Cape Cod.

Cedrone said Carter acknowledged improprieties, though not to the extent that the museum alleges in the lawsuit.

"Carter is interested in doing everything right for the museum, but there's no way in the world he is responsible for $2.4 million in losses to the museum," Cedrone said.

Contact staff writer Andrew Maykuth at 215-854-2947 or amaykuth@phillynews.com.