10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, which will take place within a few weeks and are within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Winter Celebration. Feb. 9. Lowell, Mass. Something for everyone, from human dogsled races, a soup contest, arts and crafts, live entertainment and fireworks. www.lowellwinterfest.org; 978-970-4257.
2. Sweethearts Hike. Feb. 10. Logan, Ohio. Take your sweetheart for a romantic stroll to Ash Cave in the soft light of dusk. Enjoy a cozy fire and refreshments after the hike. 740-385-6841; www.hockinghillspark.com/hiking.htm.
3. WinterFest. Feb. 10. Laconia, N.H. Snow bowling, snowman building and demonstrations of ice carving, skiing and maple sugaring. Hot beverages and s'mores in the evening. 603-524-3959.
4. 18th annual Festival for Kids. Feb. 10-11. Hartford, Conn. Arts and crafts, amusement rides, carnival-style games, martial arts demonstrations, and live entertainment. www.northeastpromo.com; 860-844-8461.
5. Telemark Adventure Tour. Feb. 10-11. Davis, W.Va. Learn telemark skiing techniques on guided tours through the wilderness. www.whitegrass.com; 304-866-4114.
6. Black History Walking Tour. Feb. 10. Alexandria, Va. Two-hour guided walking tour of little-known Civil War sites associated with African-American history, including cemeteries, slave-trading sites and early neighborhoods. www.alexandriaarchaeology.org; 703-838-4399.
7. Harlem General Day Tour. Feb. 10. New York City. Learn about migrations into the neighborhood, its historic artists, and its sociological and political significance throughout the African-American experience, in this four-hour tour. 212-694-8824.
8. Mardi Gras Celebration. Feb. 9-11. Baltimore. Celebrate Mardi Gras with music by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and singer Banu Gibson. Also, a pre-concert celebration. www.baltimoresymphony.org; 410-783-8000.
9. Mid-Atlantic International Motorcycle Show. Feb. 9-11. Timonium, Md. A true motorcycle show covering every aspect and segment of the industry, with dealers offering products and more than 1,000 bikes. www.cycleshow.net; 410-561-7323.