Butler became the latest mid-major team to knock off a top seed in the NCAA tournament.

Willie Veasley scored five of his 13 points during an 11-0 run down the stretch, and the Bulldogs rallied to upset No. 1 seed Syracuse, 63-59, last night in Salt Lake City in the West Regional semifinals. It was their 23d straight victory.

The fifth-seeded Bulldogs (31-4) fought through Syracuse's vaunted zone defense and kept the Orange (30-5) from getting their fastbreak going most of the night.

Now, after reaching the regional finals for the first time in school history, Butler is one win from going home to Indianapolis for the Final Four.

"We said this word over and over in Indianapolis, and that word is resolve. These guys have resolve," Butler coach Brad Stevens said. "It's hard to measure, but they've got it."

The Bulldogs certainly did in the last five minutes, holding the Orange without a point from the time Syracuse went up by four with 5 minutes, 23 seconds left until a too-little, too-late layup with 35 seconds remaining.

Gordon Hayward scored 17 points and started the celebration while dribbling out the clock after the Bulldogs forced Syracuse into its 18th turnover.

The Orange made only three more field goals than turnovers in another loss in the round of 16. Syracuse hasn't played in the regional finals since winning the 2003 national title.

"The game was a story of turnovers. They didn't make turnovers," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. "They were really good with the basketball."

Along with his 13 points, Veasley finished with three steals. Ronald Nored had five steals and hit a three-pointer to start the decisive run.

"Under any circumstance, I think we're poised. You have to be tough," said Nored, whose three-pointer with 3:14 left cut Syracuse's lead to 54-53.

Wes Johnson had 17 points and nine rebounds for the Orange, the second No. 1 seed to go down. Northern Iowa stunned top-ranked Kansas in the second round of the Midwest Regional last weekend.

Scoop Jardine added 14 points and five assists, and Andy Rautins scored 15, including a three-pointer to open the second half. That sent the Orange on a 15-4 run that gave them their first lead.

But the sloppy Orange couldn't overcome all their turnovers, and the 2-3 zone that so many wondered whether Butler could crack was no match for the Bulldogs' sharp shooting in the final minutes after Syracuse had taken a 54-50 lead with 5:23 left - then didn't score again for almost five minutes.

After Nored hit a three-pointer to cut the deficit to one, Matt Howard scored inside to put the Bulldogs back ahead, then Veasley got a fortunate bounce off the rim and backboard for a three to put Butler up by 58-54.

Veasley added a tip-in on Butler's next possession, and the Bulldogs held on.

After leading by 12 in the first half, the Horizon League champions were in jeopardy of getting run over by the Orange as they recovered from a frustrating start. But Syracuse could never get its transition game going and the easy baskets weren't there, thanks to the Bulldogs.

Syracuse had one good break late in the second half, and it turned out to be the last. After a three-pointer by Rautins put his team up, 52-50, Johnson grabbed a defensive rebound and got the Orange off and running on the kind of fastbreak they flashed all season before getting stymied by Butler.

Johnson passed to Jardine, who got the ball to Kris Joseph for a dunk that put Syracuse up 54-50 with 5:23 left.

The Orange didn't score again until Jardine's layup with 35 seconds remaining cut Butler's lead to 61-56.

Syracuse played again without center Arinze Onuaku, sidelined since the Big East tournament with a right quadriceps injury, and had to sit 6-foot-9 Rick Jackson when he was called for his fourth foul with 8:08 left.

Jackson finished with just four points, but did pull down nine rebounds.

Kansas State 101, Xavier 96 - The Wildcats defeated the Musketeers in double overtime to advance to the West Regional final against Butler. Jacob Pullen paced Kansas State with 28 points.