PASSING ALONG SOME idle thoughts while counting down the hours to this weekend's fantasy baseball draft:
* The Roger Federer-Tiger Woods friendship
is kinda neat. Best quote from Federer came following a practice round before last week's CA Championship that Woods won (of course): "For me, it was hard to follow the ball. I lost it just because he hits it so hard and so far."
* Yesterday was the 15th
anniversary of the Christian Laettner game down at the Spectrum. A couple hours
after Laettner hit the buzzer-beater to send Duke to the Final Four, a few writers, including our Mike Kern, caught up with Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski at center court of the empty arena. Coach K was still trying to comprehend what had happened.
* Nomar Garciaparra became a father late
Tuesday night as Mia Hamm delivered twin girls. (Talk about stretching a single into a double!) Garciaparra, the Dodgers' first baseman, was en route at the time of delivery. He'll probably pay for that for a long time. Mother and children are doing fine.
* Get the feeling Titans cornerback Adam
"Pacman" Jones is nearly out of power pellets and surrounded by ghosts Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde? (Confession: I had to look those names up.) Jones, who has been involved in
10 incidents since being drafted in 2005, is becoming the Mike Tyson of football.
* CBS SportsLine.com says that of the 2.3 million pre-tournament entries it received, about 200,000 correctly picked the men's Final Four. And of the 60 games already played, five people tied for top honors with winners in 56 of them. (Confession II: had 42 of 60; with Florida and UCLA still alive.) None of the five with 56 wins lives in this area.
* The Sixers host the Celtics and the Flyers
are at the Devils tomorrow. Just thought you'd like to know. *
- Ed Barkowitz