Makes 6 to 8 servings
3 onions, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 red or orange bell peppers, cored,
seeded, and diced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes in puree, undrained
1 15.5 ounce can
2 tablespoons dried basil
Fresh ground black pepper
For serving: grated cheddar, sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
1. Cook the onions in the oil over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
2. Add the ground turkey, and continue to cook until it is no longer pink.
3. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
4. Add the bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
5. Crush the tomatoes by hand. Add to the pot, along with the basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the beans and cook 10 more minutes.
7. Serve with the toppings.