Makes 4 servings
1 recipe basic polenta
11/2 teaspoons butter (for the casserole dish)
4 links of mild Italian salmon sausage, sliced into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
11/2 cup tomato sauce (homemade if possible)
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
3 cups nonfat milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup stone ground yellow cornmeal
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 21/2 quart casserole dish and set aside.
For the polenta:
2. Combine the milk, butter, sugar, and salt in a heavy saucepan and heat to a simmer.
3. Slowly add the cornmeal in a thin stream, whisking constantly.
4. Lower the heat and continue stirring with a wooden spoon until mixture has thickened and leaves side of pan, about 10 minutes.
For the casserole:
5. Stir ¼ cup parmesan cheese into the polenta.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
7. Add tomato sauce and sausage bites.
8. Top with mozzarella.
9. Bake, covered, until bubbling, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the casserole sit for five minutes before serving.
594 calories; 45 grams protein; 41 grams carbohydrates; 14 grams sugar; 26 grams fat; 88 milligrams cholesterol; 1,072 milligrams sodium; 4 grams dietary fiber.