NBA free agency rumor roundup: Lakers sign Marcus Landry, Knicks to decide between 2 PGs
The Los Angeles Lakers recently decided to fill out their roster by signing free agent forward Marcus Landry to a contract with "a small guarantee" for 2013-14, according to Ramona Shelburne of ESPN. The deal amounts to "more of a camp invite" for Landry, who expressed his joy about joining the Lakers via Twitter.
Landry is 27 years old and previously played in the NBA during the 2009-10 season with the New York Knicks and Boston Celtics. Last season he averaged 16.5 points per game and shot 42 percent from beyond the arc as a member of the Reno Bighorns in the NBA D-League. He was also a member of the Lakers' Las Vegas Summer League team in 2013, where he averaged 15.2 points per game. Despite the small guarantee on the new contract, the Lakers still do like Landry, according to Shelburne. Landry had this to say to Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times:
"I've shown what I'm capable of doing and doing it in a system, that's a wonderful system," said Landry, who briefly played for D'Antoni in New York with the Knicks. "It's proven that the system works, if you stick with it."
Knicks deciding between Bobby Brown and Beno Udrih
The New York Knicks have expressed interest in signing point guard Beno Udrih to a deal, but a tight salary cap situation means the team can only offer him a veteran's minimum deal. Delonte West has been crossed off the team's wish list, but 28-year-old guard Bobby Brown -- who has also received interest from the Spurs and Grizzlies -- has emerged as a target if Udrih won't sign, according to Marc Berman of the New York Post.
Brown recently signed a contract to play for Donguam in the Chinese Basketball Association, but the agreement includes an opt-out if Brown signs with an NBA team prior to Aug. 15. The Knicks now have two weeks to weigh their options. Will Udrih accept a massive pay cut from his $7 million salary in 2012-13 to a $1.4 million minimum deal, or will the team turn to Brown for an $880,000 deal to play as a backup point guard behind Raymond Felton and Pablo Prigioni?
Antawn Jamison receives interest from Bulls, Clippers, Grizzlies and Bobcats
Jamison has been biding his time while looking for the best situation on the free agent market, and the 37-year-old forward has received interest from the Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis Grizzlies and Charlotte Bobcats, according to a report from The Sporting News. His experience with the Lakers last season soured him on a situation where he isn't considered a valuable piece to the puzzle, and Jamison is content to take his time while choosing his next destination:
"I think last year, getting the opportunity to play for the Lakers and their organization, I really jumped into it," Jamison said. "Didn't really view my options, but this year I really want to make sure I'm going to the right situation, where I have a good rapport with the coaching staff and also with management I'm able to communicate and get an understanding of what they want from me.
"Because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it's the perfect fit, so I really want to make sure the next team I go to, whether it's a one- or two-year deal, that it's a really good fit and we have a understanding with each other as well. That's why you really have to take your time and key into what's best not just for me but for my family as well."
The 15-year NBA veteran averaged 9.4 points and 4.8 rebounds per game and shot 36 percent from three-point range for the Lakers in 2012-13.
More from SB Nation:
This article originally appeared on SBNation.Click here for the full article »