Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Inquirer Daily News

2 get prison sentences in Dodger Stadium beating

TWO MEN were sentenced to prison yesterday after pleading guilty to charges stemming from the severe beating of a San Francisco Giants fan outside Dodger Stadium on Opening Day of the baseball season in 2011.

Bryan Stow, a 45-year-old paramedic and father of two from Northern California, was left with brain damage from the attack in the stadium's parking lot after a game between the Dodgers and Giants on March 31, 2011.

Stow's beating raised questions about security at Dodger Stadium and led to calls to address violence tied to sports rivalries.

Louie Sanchez, who was accused of attacking Stow from behind and knocking him to the ground, pleaded guilty to a felony count of mayhem, which includes physical attack, and was sentenced to 8 years in prison, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said in a written statement.

Sanchez, 31, admitted to punching Stow and kicking him when he was on the ground, said District Attorney's Office spokeswoman Jane Robison. Sanchez had faced a possible maximum prison sentence of 11 years under the charge.

Marvin Norwood, 33, who assisted Sanchez by physically blocking Stow's friends from helping him, pleaded guilty to assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury and was sentenced to 4 years behind bars, prosecutors said.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge George Lomeli told the two men they had ruined the lives of Stow and those close to him.

"One day, you're going to be released and Mr. Stow will forever be trapped in the medical condition you caused him," Lomeli said at the hearing.

Stow's sister, Bonnie, told the court her family has to shower and dress him and give him numerous medications daily.

"I envy those who can forgive others who commit crimes against their loved ones," she said. "I am here today to say I am not one of those people."


* The Atlanta Braves and shortstop Andrelton Simmons agreed on a $58 million, 7-year contract, a record deal for the latest young star locked up by the NL East champions.

The deal, which runs through the 2020 season, is the largest ever awarded to a non-foreign player with less than 2 years of service time.

The 24-year-old Simmons showed power potential in 2013, when he hit 17 home runs, but he earned the big contract with his defense. He won his first Gold Glove award in 2013, when he led the major leagues with 499 assists.

"We feel that Andrelton is one of the premier shortstops in the game today, and we are happy that we were able to agree on this multiyear contract," general manager Frank Wren said in a statement.

Simmons hit .248 and drove in 59 runs last season. He earned the new contract after playing in only 206 career games.

* New York Mets ace Matt Harvey was cleared to start playing catch only 4 months after having reconstructive elbow surgery.

The 24-year-old righthander was examined by team doctor David Altchek at the Mets' spring training facility.

Harvey said recently that it is unlikely he will be able to pitch this season.

* The Miami Marlins' full squad took the practice field for the first time, and Giancarlo Stanton renewed a too-familiar ritual, greeting the numerous newcomers and trying to put names with faces. He's tired of it.

"I don't want to come in and always feel like everyone needs name tags, you know?" he said.

The Marlins' revolving-door roster has been accompanied by a lot of losing, and Stanton's tired of that, too. The precocious slugger said the situation must change before he'll consider a long-term offer the Marlins will likely make after this season.

* Boston Red Sox lefthander Francisco Tena has been suspended for the first 50 games of the season following a positive drug test under the minor league drug program.

Daily News Wire Reports
Latest Videos:
Also on
Stay Connected