Agassi: Pill from dad might have been speed
In the latest passage revealed from the book "Open," which was published in the German newspaper Bild, the eight-time Grand Slam champion says his father gave him an unidentified little white pill and he took it.
"I swallow it and I feel good. Not much different. A bit more alert," Agassi wrote in comments translated from German, adding his brother had warned him against taking anything from their father because it was the amphetamine speed.
" 'Next time you go to the nationals and Paps gives you pills, don't take them,' '' Agassi quotes his brother as saying. "As [my brother] predicted, at the national tournament in Chicago, my father gave me a pill."
In excerpts published Wednesday, Agassi said he ingested crystal meth in 1997 and then lied to the governing body of men's tennis to avoid a suspension after failing a doping test.
In other tennis news:
* Serena Williams bested big sister Venus again, winning 6-2, 7-6 (4) in the season-ending Sony Ericsson Championships final in Doha, Qatar.
* Third-seeded Ivan Ljubicic won his first title in more than 2 years by beating Michael Llodra, 7-5, 6-3, at the Lyon (France) Grand Prix final.
* PGA Tour winner Bill Britton won the Senior PGA Professional National Championship in Port St. Lucie, Fla., closing with a 5-under 67 for a tournament-record 18-under 270 total and a one-stroke edge over Perry Arthur.
* Na Yeon Choi made birdie at the last hole for a 5-under 67, giving her a one-shot victory over Maria Hjorth and Yani Tseng at the Hana Bank KOLON Championships in South Korea.
* Ross Fisher beat Anthony Kim, 4 and 3, to win the 36-hole World Match Play Championship final in Casares, Spain.
* PGA Tour officials canceled the weather-stricken Viking Classic because of unplayable course conditions in Madison, Miss.
* Aggravated assault charges have been filed against Paul Mueller, 54, and his son, Derek, 25, who allegedly attacked a referee after a high school football game in Bogota, N.J.
* Kitchener Rangers defenseman Ben Fanelli remains in critical condition with skull and facial fractures after a hard check into the glass Friday during an Ontario Hockey League junior game.