Four of the Flyers’ top forwards — Claude Giroux, Jake Voracek, Wayne Simmonds, and Sean Couturier — will not be playing in either of their split-squad exhibition games Wednesday against the New York Islanders.
Instead, the Flyers will get a look at several young players trying to make the roster.
Defensively, Radko Gudas, Andrew MacDonald, and Ivan Provorov will not play.
“There’s a thought process to it. We have another game tomorrow, so it’s back-to-back,” coach Dave Hakstol said after Wednesday’s morning skate in Voorhees. “…Today gives us a good opportunity to see some combinations, to see some individuals.”
The games Wednesday will be played in Allentown and Brooklyn. On Thursday, the Flyers will play in Boston, and more veteran forwards figure to be in the lineup.
Hakstol was asked if he wants to see Giroux play left wing when he does get into an exhibition game. The center played left wing on line with center Sean Couturier and right winger Jake Voracek at Tuesday’s practice.
“There’s a chance we’ll do that. I wouldn’t commit to that right now,” he said. “…Whether it’s the line we had together yesterday or something similar to that, there’s a chance we’ll take a look at it over the next couple of exhibition games.”
By the way, Simmonds was back on the ice after missing two practices because of what the club called “maintenance days.” Simmonds said he was ill.
Here are the projected lineups for the two games Wednesday:
LINEUP IN ALLENTOWN
- Nolan Patrick centering Oskar Lindblom and Nicolas Aube-Kubel.
- Jori Lehtera centering Dale Weise and Matt Read.
- Corban Knight centering Taylor Leier and Pascal Laberge.
- German Rubtsov centering Carsen Twarynski and Colin McDonald.
- Defense: Shayne Gostisbehere and Robert Hagg; Travis Sanheim and Brandon Manning; Sam Morin and Mark Alt.
- Goalies: Michal Neuvirth (starter) and Leland Irving.
LINEUP IN BROOKLYN
* Scott Laughton centering Michael Raffl and Travis Konecny.
- Mikhail Vorobyev centering Jordan Weal and Radel Fazleev.
- Mike Vecchione centering Connor Bunnaman and Ivan Kosorenkov.
- Phil Varone centering Greg Carey and Danick Martel.
- Defense: Will O’Neill and Phil Myers; Mark Friedman and Reece Willcox; and T.J. Brennan and Maxim Lamarche.
- Goalies: Alex Lyon (starter) and Carter Hart.