We're only three days away from the draft, and things will be heating up this week. For now, here are some random Eagles notes:
Eagles 'war room' attendees
When Howie Roseman spoke last week, he described who was in the 'war room' on draft day, and even where each person sat. Jeff McLane of the Inquirer mapped it out on Twitter:
Here's a group photo of the guys at Table 1.
Eagles sign a U.S. Army Ranger to a rookie free agent contract
Per the Eagles' press release:
The Philadelphia Eagles have signed defensive lineman Alejandro Villanueva to a rookie free agent contract. The 6-9, 277-pound Villanueva spent the last four years as an active member of the U.S. Army, serving a total of three tours in Afghanistan. He was most recently promoted to Captain earlier this month. Villanueva has earned many honors for his service, including the Bronze Star Medal for Valor, the Ranger Tab, the Parachutist Badge, the Bronze Star Medal for overseas service, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal with Campaign Star, Global War on Terrorism Service Ribbon, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon, NATO Medal, Combat Infantryman’s Badge and Expert Infantryman’s Badge.
Apparently, Villanueva has played along the defensive line, offensive line, and wide receiver. Versatility!
I recorded an Eagles draft podcast with Tommy Lawlor of IgglesBlitz.com (also a good follow on Twitter, especially this time of year), who really knows his stuff when it comes to draft prospects.
You can download the podcast here, which is about an hour and 10 minutes long. Here's what we discussed:
• Short recap of the players of interest in the 1st round.
• Johnny Manziel to the Eagles if he falls?
• Could the Eagles draft more players on offense than defense?
• Trade-back targets (as in, players that you probably wouldn't take at 22, but likely won't be available at 54). These would be the players in play if the Eagles traded back with a team from the first round to acquired more picks.
• Offensive targets in the 2nd round and beyond.
We recorded a second part that focused on the defensive prospects of interest in round 2 and beyond, although there are technical difficulties to work out on that one, but we'll post it when we work out the kinks.
In case you missed it at the Red Zone...
• A look at the Eagles' 1st round trade-ups and trade-downs over the last 10 years.
• Howie Hints, Part I: What do the Eagles look for in their CBs?
Follow Jimmy on Twitter: @JimmyKempski