Oft-injured Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee hurt his left knee during OTAs today. The Cowboys were practicing in shorts today when Lee reportedly collided with first round pick offensive lineman Zack Martin. ESPN Dallas' Calvin Watkins took a video of Lee being helped off the field. According to Ed Werder of ESPN, the Cowboys fear the injury is serious.
Sean Lee to have MRI to determine severity of left knee injury. League source tells me team fears injury is serious one.
— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) May 27, 2014
After mismanaging their cap for years, the Cowboys were forced to cut DeMarcus Ware to save cap space, and they lost DT Jason Hatcher in free agency. If Lee is lost for the season, the Cowboys will have lost their three best defenders in three months on a defense that ranked near the bottom of the NFL in almost every major statistical category.
If Lee's injury causes him to miss time in 2014, it will mark the 7th consecutive season he has missed a game with an injury, going back to his time at Penn State:
- 2008 (Penn State) - Torn ACL. Missed the entire season.
- 2009 (Penn State) - Sprained knee. Missed 3 games.
- 2010 (Dallas) - Strained hamstring. Missed 2 games.
- 2011 (Dallas) - Dislocated wrist. Missed 1 game.
- 2012 (Dallas) - Toe. IR. Missed 10 games.
- 2013 (Dallas) - Hamstring. Missed 5 games, including Week 17 finale vs Eagles.
- 2014 (Dallas) - TBD.
This is a potential disaster for Dallas.
Follow Jimmy on Twitter: @JimmyKempski