The Eagles did not play Sunday, but that does mean they were not talked about throughout the broadcasts on the various NFL shows from the NFL Network show at 9 a.m. to Sunday Night Football late into the evening. The topic was an obvious one, and one that will not go away over the final four weeks of the season: What about Andy Reid's future? The NFL Network delved into this more than the other shows that we caught.
* Michael Irvin on the NFL Network: “If anybody in the National Football League has earned an opportunity to see this thing through, certainly Andy Reid has. Bar none, period. I say you sign DeSean Jackson, you bring this thing back together and you say give us an offseason, and let us get back at it next year.”
* Michael Lombardi on the NFL Network: "Andy Reid has to change the team in terms of getting some toughness. He has to change the culture in the locker room. It has to become a locker room that focuses more about being a good team as opposed to what’s next on the payroll or what I get rewarded for in terms of my game check. This team lacks a true toughness in the sense that when they get the ball inside the red zone, they can’t really pound it in; it has to be deceptions and decoys. The smart play here is to bring Andy Reid back for another year, but also I think they’re going to have to rearrange the chairs of their coaching staff defensively. I don’t think they can go through another season the way they went through this year. Ultimately, get tougher and fix the defense."
* Jason LaCanfora on the NFL Network: "Andy Reid, I don’t believe he’ll be fired at this point based on what I’ve heard, but there could be friction about the composition of the staff, defensive coordinator, does [Juan] Castillo stay or go? So maybe that gets things going in another direction, but I think he’ll be back."
* Fox analyst Howie Long when asked if Reid will be the head coach of the Eagles next year: “Yes. I think there might be some staff changes and could be some personnel changes. What do they do with DeSean Jackson?”
* As he reported on Pro Football Talk earlier in the day, NBC's Mike Florio offered this on Sunday Night Football: “Michael Vick will be back and he will want Andy Reid to be back. I am told Andy Reid will keep his job if he will admit that hiring Juan Castillo to be the defensive coordinator was a mistake, and move on from Castillo. If he doesn’t, Reid will be fired.”