Thursday, July 10, 2014
Inquirer Daily News

Jets' Ryan given 2-year extension

Jets coach Rex Ryan  (AP Photo/Alan Diaz)
Jets coach Rex Ryan (AP Photo/Alan Diaz)
Rex Ryan went from the hot seat to some job security.

At least through the next two seasons.

The New York Jets signed the popular coach to a contract extension Thursday, removing the lame-duck label from Ryan and potentially keeping him with the franchise through at least the 2015 season.

Ryan, who had one year remaining on his contract, was retained by owner Woody Johnson for next season after his job appeared in jeopardy. Expectations were extremely low outside the team entering this season, but Ryan led the Jets to a surprising 8-8 finish that had players and fans clamoring for Johnson and general manager John Idzik to keep the coach.

Gruden names 3 aides

Kirk Olivadotti is returning to the Washington Redskins as inside linebackers coach, and new coach Jay Gruden is retaining Raheem Morris as defensive backs coach and Jacob Burney as defensive line coach.

Olivadotti spent 11 seasons with the Redskins from 2000-10 and worked the last three years as inside linebacker coach at the University of Georgia.

Morris and Burney are holdovers from the staff of coach Mike Shanahan, who was fired earlier this month.

Vikings target Turner

The Minnesota Vikings have targeted Norv Turner as the offensive coordinator under new coach Mike Zimmer.

Turner told the Associated Press in a brief phone interview that he and Zimmer have been talking about the job. Turner said nothing was finalized yet.

"Hopefully it works out," Turner said.

Super meals

The Super Bowl won't touch down in New Jersey until next month, but the New York restaurant scene already is rolling out the turf carpet.

The city with the endless appetite for great food is going all out for the big game, mounting a culinary spectacle in keeping with the over-the-top nature of the event.

Hernandez investigated

Boston police have been investigating whether jailed former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez may have been the gunman in a 2012 double slaying, according to a search warrant request.

Hernandez, who is awaiting trial on murder charges in a 2013 shooting near his home, was seen on surveillance footage in the same nightclub as the victims the night of the attack in Boston's South End, authorities have said. - Inquirer wire services

Latest Videos:
Also on Philly.com:
Stay Connected