10 observations: Eagles-Bears
Here are 10 observations from the Eagles' 31-26 loss to the Bears on Sunday.
10 observations: Eagles-Bears
Here are 10 observations from the Eagles' 31-26 loss to the Bears on Sunday:
1. The Eagles' offense was just 1-for-5 in the red zone. Michael Vick found Jeremy Maclin from 8 yards out for the team's only red-zone touchdown. The Birds settled for three David Akers field goals, and Vick threw his first interception of the season on the other four chances. After the win over the Redskins, I wrote about how the Eagles were 13-for-17 in terms of converting touchdowns with Vick at QB. Since then, though, they are just 2-for-10 in the last two games.
2. Defensively, the red zone has been an even bigger issue. Entering Sunday, opponents had converted 76.92 percent of red-zone chances into touchdowns against the Eagles. The Bears scored three touchdowns in four red-zone trips today.
3. The opposing quarterback and running back had career games. Jay Cutler's quarterback rating of 146.2 is a career high. Cutler's four touchdown passes ties a career high. And Matt Forte's 8.4 yards per carry is the second-highest average he's ever put up. Forte surpassed 100 yards for just the third time in his last 23 games.
4. There will be plenty of second-guessing of Andy Reid after this one. The one I'll play Monday morning quarterback on is the timeout with 12:23 left in the third quarter. The Eagles faced a 3rd-and-19 from their own 22 with the play clock winding down. Instead of taking the delay of game penalty, Reid called timeout, and then the Birds ran a draw with LeSean McCoy. If they were going to run a draw, why waste a timeout in that spot?
5. DeSean Jackson had just two catches for 26 yards. He was targeted five times and has seven catches for 76 yards in the past two games combined. Four Eagles were targeted more than Jackson against the Bears: Jason Avant, LeSean McCoy, Brent Celek and Jeremy Maclin.
6. Sunday was the first time all season the Eagles failed to create a turnover. The last time that happened was Week 10 of 2009 against the Chargers. They had at leasat one takeaway in 18 straight.
7. LeSean McCoy's 10 carries were his second-fewest of the season. He still totaled 53 yards and is averaging 5.9 yards per carry in his last four games. McCoy had eight catches for 67 yards and has 18 receptions in the last three.
8. The Eagles were just 4-for-13 on third down. They failed to convert a third down in the second half (0-for-5). In the last two weeks, the offense has converted 7 of 27 third downs.
9. The Bears started three of their five scoring drives at their own 41, their own 37 and their own 46. They averaged over 27 yards on six kickoff returns, had one of 44 an one of 46. It's no excuse, but the Bears have been doing this all season. On the year, they're averaging 26.2 yards on kickoff returns, fifth-best in the league.
10. Vick attempted 44 passes, the second-highest total of his career. He threw 46 in 2002. His interception was the first of the season and his second turnover in 2010. This was the first time all season the Eagles lost a game that Vick started and finished.
Earlier I posted on the defense's struggles.
Download our NEW iPhone/Android app for even more Birds coverage, including app-exclusive videos and analysis. Get it here.