Police: Brunson used Patrick Ewing as alias before alleged assault

Patrick Ewing, left, was a teammate of Rick Brunson during his time with the Knicks. (Getty Images file photos)

Rick Brunson, a former Temple basketball star who was a candidate to rejoin the team as an assistant, used Patrick Ewing's name to book an appointment with a female massage therapist he allegedly tried to assault at a suburban Chicago fitness center, according to a Vernon Hills (Ill.) police report.

Brunson, 42, was arrested June 25 and charged with attempted criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual abuse, and three counts of aggravated battery. The alleged incident took place April 2 at Life Time Fitness in Vernon Hills, according to the police report. The masseuse has had an order of protection against Brunson since the incident.

Brunson played for Temple in the early 1990s before embarking on a nine-year pro career. His son, Jalen, is ranked by ESPN as the nation's No. 1 high school point guard.

A source said last month that Brunson was set to be hired by Temple as an assistant men's basketball coach. His son, who will be a senior in the fall, is expected to choose his college in November. Jalen Brunson, who lists Temple in his final eight choices, is participating at LeBron James' Skills Academy basketball camp in Las Vegas this week.

Temple officials would not comment on the matter.

A 12-page, heavily redacted police report said Brunson made an appointment with the masseuse April 2. The name listed in the appointment was "Patrick Ewing." Brunson told gym officials that he often used aliases during his playing career. He and Ewing were teammates with the New York Knicks for parts of two seasons.

The masseuse said she believed Brunson used an alias because she had told him she would no longer work with him. The police report said Brunson was undressed when she entered the room and she "reluctantly agreed to massage him since he was already there." She told police that the last time they had communicated was in December 2013 by text message.

The details of the alleged assault were redacted from the police report. The woman said "she was in a daze after the incident and could not recall much of her time with Brunson after the abuse concluded." The masseuse told police she was in pain but did not see a doctor because she was uninsured.

The fitness center revoked Brunson's membership a week after the masseuse reported the alleged incident to Life Time Fitness officials.

The police were first notified April 12. On the advice of his lawyer, Michael Zaslavsky, Brunson declined an interview with police after his arrest and refused to provide a DNA sample.