Friday NFL coaching roundup: Eagles may interview Bruce Arians
The NFL head coaching search continues with names like Lovie Smith and Gus Bradley being thrown into the mix for head coaching positions.
- 9:53 PM: Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that new Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski is set to hire former San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner as offensive coordinator.
- 8:09 PM: Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will likely interview with the Eagles either Monday or Tuesday, according to a report from Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. Rapoport also reported that Arians will interview with the Bears Sunday and possibly with the Chargers either Monday or Tuesday.
- 7:24 PM: The Eagles will be interviewing Bengals Offensive Coordinator Jay Gruden on Monday.
- 5:57 PM: ESPN President John Skipper told reporters that Jon Gruden is committed to TV.
- 4:50 PM: Chiefs named Doug Pederson as their offensive coordinator, as well as some making some other moves. Tommy Brasher, who took over for Jim Washburn late in the Eagles' season, and Britt Reid, Andy's son, will also join the former Eagles coach in Kansas City.
- 3:35 PM: The Panthers asked for permission to interview Bengals assistant coach Hue Jackson for the offensive coordinator position. The Jets may also be interested in Jackson.
- 3:26 PM: Joe Person of the Carolina Observer reported that former Browns coach Pat Shurmur is among the top candidates for the Panthers offensive coordinator job.
- The Cleveland Browns made headlines Thursday night when it was reported that they have hired Rob Chudzinski as their head coach.
- The Chargers interviewed Seahawks Offensive Coordinator Gus Bradley on Thursday night. The Chargers are also setting their sights on Bears’ former head coach Lovie Smith, who interviewed with the Eagles last night.
- The Eagles are also interested in Bradley and will travel to Atlanta on Sunday for the Falcons-Seahawks game this Sunday.
- Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg is reportedly on the top of the Jets' list to take over that position. He is rumored to be interviewing with the Jets as soon as today.
- Bradley is not the only Seattle coaching assistant that it looking for a head coaching position. Offensive Coordinator, Darrell Bevel is scheduled to interview with the Bears. The Bears are also planning to interview with Minnesota Vikings assistants Mike Preifer and Mike Singeltary while in Atlanta on Sunday to interview with Bevell.
- Fox’s Jimmy Johnson took to Twitter Friday morning to announce that the Bears already have hired Marc Trestman as the head coach, but the Bears refused to comment on Johnson’s tweet. Trestman reported later that he has not been offered the job.
- The Kansas City Chiefs have hired Jets linebacker coach Bob Sutton as their defensive coordinator to work alongside new head coach Andy Reid.
- Monte Kiffin was Andy Reid's top choice for the Chiefs defensive coordinator but Kiffin interviewed with the Cowboys on Thursday night. ESPN’s Ed Werner reported Friday afternoon that Kiffin had reached a deal with the Cowboys to be their defensive coordinator.