The chairman of a House subcommittee is requesting a meeting with NBA commissioner David Stern concerning the betting scandal involving former referee Tim Donaghy.
Rep. Bobby Rush, who heads the Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer Protection, said he is also considering calling a hearing on the matter "should the facts warrant public scrutiny."
"If the allegations prove true, this could be one of the most damaging scandals in the history of American sports," the Illinois Democrat wrote in a letter sent to Stern on Wednesday and released to the press yesterday.
* Edmonton signed Anaheim forward Dustin Penner to a 5-year, $21.25 million offer sheet.
* Free-agent forward Martin Gelinas agreed to a 1-year, $1.25 million contract with Nashville.
* Hunter Mahan became the first PGA Tour player this season to eagle three holes in a round and the 21st since 1980. He shot a 9-under 62 to match the Canadian Open record and take a two-stroke lead after the first round in Markham, Ontario.
* Nick Faldo shot a 3-under 68 for a share of the first-round lead in the Senior British Open at Muirfield in Gullane, Scotland.
* Pat Hurst, Brittany Lincicome and Eun-hee Ji each shot a 6-under 66 to share the lead after the first round of the Evian Masters in France.
* The Flyers signed second-year Phantoms centers Jared Ross and Pete Zingoni.
* Slovenia's Jolanda Ceplak, the 800-meter indoor world recordholder, has been suspended after testing positive for the blood-booster EPO. Ceplak, 30, who won bronze at the 2004 Athens Olympics, faces a 2-year ban if found guilty of doping.
* McLaren will not be punished for possessing confidential information on the design of Ferrari cars in a decision that has infuriated its Formula One rival. Motorsport's world governing body - FIA - ruled that McLaren did have sensitive Ferrari documents, but there was insufficient evidence that the data was misused. A hearing was called to work out how a 780-page technical dossier on Ferrari cars was found at the home of McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan, and if other team officials were aware of the contents. Coughlan has since been suspended by McLaren. *