Zucchini "Lasagna" With Roasted Tomatoes and Basil Oil6 serving(s)
2 cups fresh ricotta, farmer cheese, or fresh goat cheese
Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
1 clove garlic minced fine
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons for oiling pans
2 to 3 medium-large (not oversize) zucchini or yellow squash (or assortment)
6 large, firm, ripe plum tomatoes
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan
1. Season the cheese with salt and pepper to taste, add minced basil and stir to combine. Set aside.
2. Add the basil leaves, garlic, cheese, and lemon juice to a blender. Add the olive oil and blend, turning the machine on and off several times, until the mixture is smooth and pureed. Taste and adjust salt. Add fresh ground pepper. This mixture can be prepared up to several hours ahead.
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Oil a baking sheet. Slice the squash longitudinally into 1/4-inch slices. Lay the slices so they do not touch and season one side with salt and pepper. Bake on the lower rack of the oven until the bottom is browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from oven and turn each slice. Return to the oven for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. The slices should be just browned. Remove from oven and let cool.
4. On a separate oiled baking sheet place sliced rounds of tomatoes and season well. Bake until just browned and remove from the oven. You want the tomatoes to retain their shape so don't overcook.
5. On a serving platter lay about half of the cooked zucchini in a rectangle approximately 5 inches by 11 inches. The slices will overlap. Spread this with half of the seasoned cheese. Lay the zucchini on top of the cheese. Top this with the remaining cheese, spreading carefully.
6. Layer the roasted tomato slices on the top layer of cheese. Drizzle the top with basil oil. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Slice carefully with a serrated or long slicing knife. This dish is best served at room temperature, so assemble just before serving or remove from refrigerated storage at least 1/2 hour before serving.
Per serving (based on 6): 360 calories, 12 grams protein, 14 grams carbohydrates, 7 grams sugar, 31 grams fat, 26 milligrams cholesterol, 189 milligrams sodium, 2 grams dietary fiber.