H. Donald Harvey Jr., 78, real estate executive
H. Donald Harvey Jr., 78, of Phoenixville, a real estate executive, died Sunday, Feb. 9, of melanoma at home.
Mr. Harvey, a native of New York City, received his early education at the Andover School in Connecticut and the Berkshire School in Sheffield, Mass., before enrolling at the University of Pennsylvania, where he graduated from the Wharton School in 1958 with a degree in economics. Mr. Harvey, who had been in Navy ROTC at Penn, followed by Officer Candidate School, then served in the Navy before beginning a business career in New York City.
He eventually joined Uris Building Corp., where, as vice president, he was responsible for leasing six office buildings in New York City. The job soon put him in contact with Philadelphia, where he became active in real estate, and was responsible for the development and leasing of Five Penn Center, the office building now known as 1601 Market St.
He later joined the real estate investment and development firm Evans Pitcairn and was responsible for the leasing of 2000 Market St. and the development and leasing of 1760 Market St. He also became a partner of Rouse & Associates, leasing and managing its Center City properties, and working on land loans and financing packages for Liberty Place, among other properties.
His passions were golf (he was a 29-year member of the Aronimink Golf Club), paddle tennis, recreational and competitive sailing, and singing in the choir at St. Peter's Church in the Great Valley. He was a volunteer at the Clinic in Phoenixville, a facility for the medically uninsured.
Mr. Harvey is survived by his wife of 33 years, Patricia; sons William, Thomas, and Jeffrey; and eight grandchildren.
A celebration of his life will be held at 11 a.m. Monday, Feb. 17, at St. Peter's Church in the Great Valley, 2475 St. Peters Rd., Malvern. Interment will be in the churchyard. A reception will follow in the parish hall.
Contributions may be made to St. Peter's Ministry (Music Ministry) or the Clinic, 143 Church St., Phoenixville, Pa. 19460.