Happy Friday, Philadelphia. Can you believe it? Your underdog Eagles are one win away from the Super Bowl and speaking of still being in the running, Philly might be a prime location for Amazon’s second headquarters. Let’s get to it.
If you like what you’re reading, tell your friends it’s free to sign up here.
Not everyone is pleased. A social campaign is calling for a boycott of the march over organizers’ perceived collaboration with police and attendees being subjected to searches.
The theme of this year’s march: “We Resist. We Persist. We Rise.” Here’s everything you need to know about the event.
Philadelphia’s bid addressed Amazon’s need for major office space by touting locations including inside 30th Street Station. Architecture critic Inga Saffron made a strong case for Philly’s potential and future in her open letter to Amazon.
The company is expected to bring 50,000 jobs to its city of choice which raises a major question: Can Philly’s public transit handle all those new workers?
It took a miracle for the Vikings to make it to the NFC Championship game. Columnist Mike Sielski warns folks not to expect a hangover from Minnesota. He explains why the Eagles should be ready for the Vikings’ best.
Birds fans are hoping that Nick Foles will turn in another solid performance on Sunday. He’s just keeping things in perspective by focusing on his three priorities in life: God. Family. Football – in that order.
The last time the Eagles played in the NFC Championship Game was in 2008. It was a very different time and fans are hoping for a very different outcome.
What you need to know today
- Pennsylvania’s medical marijuana program has launched and experts explain why patients who also want to carry a firearm should buy their gun first.
- Kim Pack sat in a New Jersey courtroom on Thursday, watching as her stepfather, Dr. James Kauffman, was ordered held for trial in the murder of her mother.
- Today marks four years since Amber Long was shot and killed while she walked with her mother in Fishtown. Her mother, Stephanie Long, says the years of waiting for justice for her daughter is taking a toll.
- Despite opposition to the idea, Temple University has taken a major step with the city in its mission to have an on-campus football stadium.
- Just under 20 percent of businesses in Philadelphia are owned by women, but a stretch of Passyunk Avenue is seeing a very different trend with 55 shops, salons, restaurants and other businesses run by women.
- Yesterday, Montgomery County prosecutors announced they want to call 19 more accusers to testify against Bill Cosby during his retrial. It’s up to the judge to decide.
- Racist and sexist texts, and allegations of stolen money resulted in a former Coatesville Area School District superintendent being labeled as both a dedicated educator and thief at trial.
- The Environmental Protection Agency has its eyes on Superfund sites across the nation that are perfect for revitalization and several of them are in the Philadelphia region.
- Starting this summer, Philadelphia will launch a program to give thousands of dollars to residents to fix up their aging homes.
- The Sixers avenged their London loss to the Celtics by picking up an 89-80 win last night, just hours after Joel Embiid was named to his first All-Star team.
Through Your Eyes | #OurPhilly
A post shared by @ nighthawk.jp on
We want to see what our community looks like through your eyes. Show us the park that your family walks through every weekend with the dog, the block party in your neighborhood or the historic stretch you see every morning on your commute to work.
- A debate in Philadelphia is centered around whether the city should open a safe injection site and a recent study is examining how people who inject drugs in Philly feel about it.
- Tough Call: Joe Ambrosino, an Eagles fans of 40 years, was thrilled to get tickets to Sunday’s game. Then he remembered his husband landed them tickets to Les Misérables at the Academy of Music … at the same time.
- When it comes to predicting the NFC Championship Game, our beat writers are split. Two have picked the Eagles and the other two are going with the Vikings.
- A local dietician explains why your old approach to weight loss might backfire on you. It’s actually possible to cut too many calories.
- With the frigid temperatures comes a need to get warmed up fast. Folks in the suburbs are cranking up the heat at a record pace and Peco has the bills to prove it.
- Could WIP host Glen Macnow be your next Congressman? The sports radio host explained to us why he has given it serious thought.
- No Flyer will ever wear No. 88 again as the team retired Eric Lindros’ jersey last night. They also picked up an overtime win against Toronto.
- Pack your bags. American Airlines has announced that you can now fly non-stop to seven new domestic cities with them from Philadelphia International Airport.
- Sixers center Joel Embiid has a knack for making us laugh. The big man is now shooting for big laughs in his comedic debut.
“[The #MeToo movement] did jump start an overdue public reckoning of sexual harassment and abuse. But it also reinforced an unalienable truth many like to deny, namely whose bodies – white women’s – and whose voices – white women’s – are valued.“ — Columnist Helen Ubiñas writes that it’s time to also focus on #UsToo, sharing experiences about stereotypes and racial discrimination in the workplace.
- Nuclear war? Women’s Marches? Columnist Christine Flowers explains why all of that is taking a backseat to her Eagles this weekend.
- Whether you believe the numbers or not, Columnist Will Bunch writes that the medical assessment of President Trump points to an American crisis: People don’t know what to believe anymore.
What we’re reading
- Could the best way to deal with sexual predators in America involve amnesty? TIME Magazine delves into how this radical idea would work.
- Who says you need a “franchise quarterback” to compete for a championship? The Minneapolis Star Tribune shows how Nick Foles and Case Keenum crashed the championship party.
- Is plastic easier? The Seattle Times tells us why your cash is no longer good at a downtown Seattle Starbucks location.
- Philadelphia Magazine takes a dive into what makes new Center City gym X Force, a Swedish concept, such a crazy and unique workout experience.
- We’ll be hearing a lot of “Fly Eagles Fly” on Sunday, but is that your favorite Philly sports song? PhillyVoice ranks the fight songs for our five sports teams.
Your Daily Dose of | Fatherhood
Just days before the Eagles play in the NFC Championship Game, Malcolm Jenkins has become a father to a baby girl for the second time.