How this series was reported
This series is based on eight months of reporting, including U.S., Iranian and Republic of Georgia documents, e-mail messages, medical files, video, wiretaps and other digital media obtained by The Inquirer. It is also based on interviews with:
• Amir Hossein Ardebili; his wife Negine Sharifi, mother Zahra Ahkami and brother Afshin Ardebili; his lawyers, Edmund D. Lyons and Ross Reghabi.
• Assistant U.S. Attorney David L. Hall, U.S. Attorney David C. Weiss and former U.S. Attorney Colm Connolly, all of Wilmington.
• U.S Homeland Security/Immigration Customs Enforcement agents John Kelleghan, Andrew McLees, Clark Settles, Michael Ronayne and Patrick Lechleitner. Two ICE agents – “Darius” and “John Richards” – asked that their true names not be published because they still work undercover.
• Defense Criminal Investigative Service Special-Agent-in-Charge Edward T. Bradley.
• An Iranian diplomat in Washington spoke generally about the case but his government declined a formal interview.
In the interests of safety, Ardebili and the undercover ICE agents agreed to be interviewed only on the condition that certain details be omitted from this series.
Read the series here: www.philly.com/ShadowWar