Getting in, getting around
A reporter sees how easy it is to enter schools
A DAILY NEWS reporter went to four schools unannounced to review their security:
Chester Arthur, South Philadelphia:
* Once buzzed in, there was no one at the door.
* The principal came out of the office to greet me before I was able to access the hallways.
Disston Elementary, Mayfair:
* Once buzzed in, I could access the stairways freely.
* Once onto the main level, there was no one at the front door. I was able to walk down the hallways without being approached.
* When I walked toward the main office, an adult approached me and directed me to the main office but did not ensure that I reached the office.
Edwin Forrest Elementary, Northeast Philadelphia:
* Staff member asks for ID before you can be buzzed in, but I was able to walk in behind another man who held the door for me.
* Once inside, I could access the stairways freely.
* Once on the main level, there was no one at the door. It was actually difficult to discern the location of the main office.
* I was able to walk down a hallway without being approached.
Sullivan Elementary, Wissinoming:
* Once buzzed in, I was able to access the stairway freely.
* Once on the main level, there was an adult seated at the front desk, but she did not speak to me.
* An adult from the main office approached me before I was able to access the hallways.
- Solomon Leach