Three teens charged with brutal attacks on Delco woman

A young woman's Christmas - and her life - was shattered Tuesday when she was kidnapped, raped, robbed and beaten in her own car by three teenagers (from left to right) Jones, Matthews and Rawlings over the course of five hours, according to police.

Three teenagers were being held on $500,000 bail each after being charged with kidnapping, raping, beating, and robbing a Delaware County woman in her car over several hours beginning on Christmas night.

The victim, 22, identified her alleged assailants even though, she said, they threatened her with more harm if she reported the incident, according to Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood.

"This was a very, very courageous lady to go through what she went through - five hours of torture - and to be able to talk about it," Chitwood said.

The woman had been out with her boyfriend and his mother at an Upper Darby pub on Christmas night and left to sit in her Jeep Cherokee to wait for her boyfriend, who said he would be out shortly. The car was in the parking lot of George's Water Ice on Marshall Road.

About 11:30, while she was looking at photographs on her phone, three young males forced their way into the car. The victim was pushed back into the car as she tried to flee and was struck on her forehead with a gun, police said.

She was forced into the back of the car as her captors drove around. They took her phone, purse, and wallet, and she reportedly told them they could take whatever she had and pleaded with them to let her go.

Over the next several hours, they drove to various locations, including ones in Philadelphia, and forced her to perform sexual acts at times at gunpoint, even after she vomited on the assailants. At one point, police said, one of the assailants ordered her to stop crying and, having learned the woman had a 2-year-old daughter, said, "Hurry up and do it faster if you ever want to see your daughter again."

Throughout the ordeal, the woman was struck repeatedly, and the assailants used her phone to make calls and texts.

About 5 a.m. Wednesday, the assailants left the victim and her car with the keys in Upper Darby. Police said she drove to her boyfriend's house, and he accompanied her to the Upper Darby police station.

At 5:21 a.m., police received a call about a disturbance at a residence on the 7100 block of Radbourne Road. A woman at the house said she heard three young males who were at her home telling her sons about having had a good time that involved a handbag and a gun, according to Chitwood.

The victim was brought to the residence, where she identified two of the males. Some of her jewelry, her phone, and her Coach bag were recovered.

Those identified there, although juveniles, have been charged as adults. They are Kevin Jones, 17, a Philadelphia youth staying at the residence so he could attend Upper Darby High School, and Kewon Matthews, 17, of Millbourne, Chitwood said.

Through investigation and photographs, the third alleged attacker was identified as Breon Rawlings, 19. He was found hiding in a bathtub at his Yeadon residence Wednesday night and later gave a statement admitting involvement in the attack, police said. Matthews and Jones signed similar statements, police said.

The three were charged with numerous criminal counts including kidnapping, rape, and aggravated assault, police said. A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Monday.


Contact Rita Giordano at 610-627-2649, or on Twitter @ritagiordano.