An underground cable fire in Queen Village caused evacuations and power outages early this morning.
PECO wires near Fifth Street and Passyunk Avenue caught fire shortly after 4 a.m. One building was evacuated due to smoke, officials said.
Firefighters quickly put out the blaze. Emergency crews also checked on a report of high carbon monoxide levels in the area.
At one point, 56 customers were without power as crews worked, PECO said. By 8 a.m., people had been allowed to return home and power had been restored to all but three customers.