One of Philadelphia's sports greats, basketball legend Charles Barkley, said over the weekend that he will offer to pay for the funerals of three children killed in the North Philadelphia carjacking carnage, city District Attorney Seth Williams said Monday.
"Like most Philadelphians, many Americans, and people across the world that heard about this and were moved, he wanted me to know that he wanted to pay for the funeral for these three children, and I put him in touch with the family so he can do that," Williams said as he finished his remarks at a press conference announcing charges against two suspects.
Williams said he has told the family of the three young victims — 15-year-old Keiearra Williams, 10-year-old Thomas Joseph Reed, and 7-year-old Terrence Williams — of Barkley's wish.
Attempts to reach Barkley were not immediately successful.
Williams' announcement came at the end of a joint press conference with the Philadelphia police department and other city officials announcing murder and other related charges against two city men, Cornelius Crawford, 20, and Jonathan Rosa, 19. Rosa turned himself in Sunday and Crawford was taken into custody the same day.
The mother of the three children, Keisha Williams, remained in the hospital after she too was run down by the sports utility vehicle Crawford and Rosa allegedly carjacked in the Tioga section of North Philadelphia last week.