Here are some key figures about the city’s payroll in 2014:
- 29,779: Total employees, a small drop from the number of paid city workers the year before and the first decline in paid employees since 2011
- $1.63 billion: Total amount spent on employees’ salaries in 2014
- $1.84 billion: Total payroll costs for both salary and overtime expenditures
- Highest paid employees:
- Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey, $270,523
- Medical Examiner Sam Gulino, $254,386
- Mayor Michael Nutter, $213,968*
- Philadelphia International Airport CEO Mark Gale, $212,175
- Deputy Medical Examiner Gary Collins, $211,085
*After a voluntary 10 percent pay decrease, Nutter earned $177,680 in 2014, a spokesman said, who added that Nutter has also never taken annual cost of living adjustments allowed by city code.
About the data
Philly.com analyzed payroll data from the city Finance Department, provided under a Right to Know Law request. The most recent data covered employees who were on the Philadelphia city payroll in calendar year 2014. Figures for calendar years 2009 to 2013 were provided to Philly.com through a public-records request last year.