The Cleveland man accused of holidng three women captive for a decade was arraigned on kidnapping and rape charges this morning.
Bond for 52-year-old Ariel Castro was set at $2 million per case, for a total of $8 million. He is facing charges related to three abducted women and the daughter of one of the women.
He was also ordered to have no contact with the victims or their families.
Authorities say Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight were kept, sometimes in chains, in Castro's home for the past 10 years. Berry escaped and called 911 Monday.
Prosecutor Brian Murphy likened Castro's home to a prison. The women were "basically never free to leave," he said in court.
"Today, the situation's turned, your honor," Murphy said. "Mr. Castro stands before you a captive ... the women are free to resume their lives."
Castro's brothers, Onil and Pedro Castro, were arrested earlier this week but charges in connection with the disappearances are not being filed against them.
Ariel Castro did not speak during the brief hearing, which lasted less than five minutes.