Friday, September 19, 2014
Inquirer Daily News

Five sickened by fumes at Northeast Days Inn

A Days Inn in the city's Crescentville section was briefly evacuated late Thursday after three children and two adults were sickened by carbon monoxide fumes from a generator being used during a power outage.

Philadelphia police said medics transported the children, ages 3, 5, and 11, to St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, where they were treated. Two adults were treated at Einstein Medical Center.

Asif Youl, the manager of the hotel in the 4200 block of Roosevelt Boulevard, said an employee improperly started a generator in the basement when the building lost power. "It was a small mistake," he said.

He said approximately 100 guests were permitted to return to their rooms shortly before 1 a.m. Friday after the generator was taken outside and the fire marshal's office issued an all-clear. - Martha Woodall

Also on Philly.com
Stay Connected