Which roads are closed for 2013 Made in America Festival
Today, all sorts of roads are closing in preparation for this weekend's Made in America festival, which will take over the Parkway, Eakins Oval and adjacent grassy areas.
Beyonce will headline 17 Saturday performances on several stages between 22d Street and the Art Museum, followed by Nine Inch Nails and another dozen and a half acts on Sunday. Gates open at noon each day. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.
Last year’s inaugural event drew about 40,000 people each day.
Lane closures started kicking in earlier this week, beginning Sunday in front of the Art Museum. Then, on Thursday, the Parkway's inbound and outbound inner lanes were closed, and that should last through Tuesday, Sept. 3.
Starting with morning rush hour today, drivers on Eakins Oval had to exit at 24th Street, because of the closing of the Parkway’s inner lanes. This includes cars coming off the Spring Garden Street Bridge and Martin Luther King Drive. Also, inbound traffic headed on Kelly Drive had to exit at Fairmount Avenue, according to the city.
By 10 a.m. roads crossing and bordering the festival area were to be shut down at least through the end of the festival, scheduled for late Sunday night.
Here’s the city’s list of road closures:
- Parkway, from 20th Street through Eakins Oval and behind the Art Museum.
- 21st St. between Winter St. (which is north of the Parkway) & Spring Garden St. (which is south of the Parkway).
- 22d St. between Winter & Fairmount (several blocks north of the Parkway)
- 23d St. between Parkway & Fairmount.
- 24th and 25 Sts. between Fairmount & Pennsylvania (just north of Parkway).
- Spring Garden St. (north of Parkway) between 20th & 31st Sts., including Spring Garden Street tunnel.
- Kelly Drive between 23d St. (near eastern end of Eakins Oval) & Fairmount (near back of Art Museum).
- Martin Luther King Drive between Falls Bridge (about 5 miles behind the Art Museum) & the Parkway.
- Pennsylvania Avenue between Hamilton & Fairmount (or roughly from 23d St. to back of the Art Museum)
- 2000 block of Pennsylvania Avenue between the Whole Foods store & 21st St. (Note: eastern half of block from store to 20th St. will stay open for access to store.)
- Park Towne Place (south of Parkway) between 22d & 24th Sts.
- I-676 West (Vine St. Expressway) off-ramp at 22d St. (Note: I-676 East off-ramp at 23d St. will be open).
Here's a list of where parking will be prohibited, according to the city:
- Pennsylvania Ave. between 22d & Fairmount (south side of street)
- Winter St. between 20th & 22d Sts. (both sides)
- 20th St. between Vine & Callowhill (east side)
- 21st St. between Parkway & Race (both sides)
- 22d St. between Winter & Spring Garden (both sides)
- Park Towne Place between 22d & 24th (both sides)
Contact staff writer Peter Mucha at 215-854-4342 or email@example.com.