Paterno not involved in cover-up, says prosecutor from Sandusky trial
As the allegations of child abuse mounted against former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, some believed that there was a larger cover-up going on in State College, one that was orchestrated - at least in part - by head coach Joe Paterno.
That, however, is not the truth, according to former state Chief Deputy Attorney General Frank Fina, a central figure in the grand jury investigation into Sandusky.
Fina, who appeared on Showtime's "60 Minutes Sports" Wednesday night, had the following to say when asked if he believed Paterno tried to conceal abuse allegations:
“I do not. And — and I — I’m viewing this strictly on the evidence, not any kind of fealty to anybody. I did not find that evidence.”
While the evidence may not support a "cover-up," Fina believes that Paterno could have done more.
More from Mike Dawson of the Centre Daily Times:
“And I don’t see any need to judge him beyond his own words,” Fina said. “He said it best: ‘I didn’t do enough. I should have done more.’ ”
Though Fina wasn’t critical of Paterno, he had harsh words for the other three, according to the interview.
“We’ve got a massive, multibillion dollar entity that — at the time — we don’t realize, although we would come to realize it — may not be fully committed to disclosing what the reality is,” Fina said. “Of course, we — we come to realize that they’re actively obstructing — our investigation.”
“And they had been for many years.”
Fina said the three men “deserved to be charged” and he hopes “justice will be served.”