One Direction hater sentenced in bomb threat
Angry because he couldn't buy tickets for a sold-out concert, a New Jersey man phoned in a bomb threat to Hersheypark Stadium hoping to disrupt the show. He wasn't successful. The show went on, he was nabbed, and today he was sentenced to eight months in federal prison.
“If One Direction plays tomorrow, the stadium will blow up,” was the threat phoned in on July 5, 2013 to Hershey Entertainment and Resorts. One Direction, a wildly popular English pop group, was on a tour of the United States last summer. The threat set in motion a number of security measures. The stadium was placed on lockdown before the concert, police conducted a bomb sweep and security personnel searched every bag entering the stadium, prosecutors said.
Investigators traced the call to a pay phone outside a 7-Eleven store in Northfield, N.J. Surveillance video revealed the caller to be William H. Klein, 47. Klein pleaded guilty today to a charge of interstate communication with threat to injure.
According to court documents, Klein had promised to take his two daughters to the July 6 show. The concert, however, had been sold out for months. When he broke the news to his daughters, one of them threatened to never speak with him again.
Angry and distraught, he told investigators that if the show was called off, he could tell his daughters they shouldn't be upset with him because it was cancelled anyway.
According to his defense attorney, Klein "was just another victim of uncontrolled teenage rage."
The girls have not spoken to him since he was jailed, the documents state.
In addition to the prison sentence, Klein will be required to serve two years of supervised release.