Man dead when fire breaks out at Center City apartment building
A man has died, reportedly from smoke inhalation, after a fire broke out inside an apartment on the 10th floor of a building on South 13th Street in Center City.
The blaze was reported at 3:42 p.m., according to a fire department captain. Supervisors on scene declared the flames under control about an hour later.
The fire is inside an apartment at the Walnut Square Apartments, 201 S. 13th Street, just south of Walnut Street.
Radio reports initially indicated that one victim was taken to a nearby hospital, but no condition was known. He reportedly died a short time later. The entire building was evacuated before the fire was controlled.