Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Families in Northeast spend most on prom

0 comments
In this Saturday, May 12, 2012 photo, Rockford High School students dance at The Pinnacle Center during their prom in Hudsonville, Mich. Prom spending is expected to rise in 2013 to an average $1,139. (AP photo)
In this Saturday, May 12, 2012 photo, Rockford High School students dance at The Pinnacle Center during their prom in Hudsonville, Mich. Prom spending is expected to rise in 2013 to an average $1,139. (AP photo)

High schoolers and their families are spending more on prom -- and families in the Northeast are spending the most of all.

Visa's annual prom spending survey says families plan to spend an average of $1,139 on prom this year. That's a 5.6-percent increase from the average of $1,079 spent last year, and a 41.1-percent rise from the average of $807 in 2011.

The biggest spenders on prom are families in the Northeast, who say they expect to spend $1,528 on the high school dance this year.

Families in the South intend to spend $1,203, familes in the West expect to pay $1,079 and Midwest familes plan to spend just $722, the survey found.

Visa says parents expect to pay for 59 percent of prom costs, while teens will cover the remaining 41 percent.

Parents and teens curbed prom spending during the recession, but are starting to be more willing to spend more bucks on the big event.

"You don't want your kid to be the only kid who doesn't have what the other kids have," Kit Yarrow, a consumer psychologist and professor at Golden Gate University, told the Associated Press.


Contact Emily Babay at 215-854-2153 or ebabay@philly.com. Follow @emilybabay on Twitter.

Contact the Breaking News Desk at 215-854-2443; BreakingNewsDesk@philly.com. Follow @phillynews on Twitter.

Philly.com staff
0 comments
We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue.
Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines.

Comment policy:

Philly.com comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

Please note that comments are monitored by Philly.com staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

Read 0 comments
 
comments powered by Disqus
Also on Philly.com
letter icon Newsletter