Cops: Drunk falls out of moving constable van

A man who received his third driving under the influence offense Sunday morning for causing a three-car collision in Upper Darby found himself on the road again that evening when he fell out of a moving constable's van that was transporting him to prison, police said.

Upper Darby police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said Marlon Glenn was "whacked out" and driving his blue Hyundai on 69th Street near Patterson Avenue around 9:30 a.m. when he crossed the center line and struck two vehicles traveling in the opposite direction.

Marlon Glenn, alleged DUI driver. You'd rather ride with Stevie Wonder.

All three cars suffered significant damage and four people in the two other cars were taken to Delaware County Memorial Hospital, where they were treated for head, neck and back injuries, police said. Glenn, who was not injured in the crash, was given a field sobriety test, which he promptly failed, Chitwood said.

When officers asked him for his driver's license, Glenn allegedly fumbled through some paperwork he had in the car before claiming he'd left it at home.

Police later determined Glenn did not have a license because it was DUI-suspended, Chitwood said. Glenn has prior DUI convictions from 2008 and 2011, according to police.

"These guys are worse than a guy with a sawed-off shotgun," Chitwood said. "They've got a 3,000-pound vehicle, no conscious, no insurance and no sense of right and wrong."

Glenn, 29, of Market Street near 59th in Philadelphia, was arraigned on DUI and related charges and remanded to the Delaware County Prison on $20,000 bail.

While being transported by a constable from Upper Darby police headquarters to the the prison, Glenn somehow managed to fall out of the back of the constable's moving van on Claredon Road near State, according to police.

"He claims that he was leaning against the door, it opened and he fell out of the van and onto the roadway," Chitwood said. "He didn't get hurt in the initial accident but he got hurt falling out of the constable's car."

Glenn was taken to Delaware County Memorial Hospital, where he was treated for abrasions to his arm and elbow. He was transported to the prison upon his hospital release.

When asked what Glenn was doing drunk in Upper Darby at 9:30 on a Sunday morning, Chitwood was as mystified as anybody.

"Who knows what the hell people do in Upper Darby," he said.